Back in the 80’s there were many books written encouraging people to be good to their self. I saw one of those familiar books today at the library written by Meloney Betty. Then it occurred to me that in today’s busy world how some of us may have slipped in that area.
We boomers rush around taking care of others, our jobs, children, grandchildren and even our parents. We struggle to pay off credit card debt and keep up with the rising costs. As we go about our busy day, meeting the demands of life, we forget how important it is to not only be good to others but to be good to ourselves. It is important to take care of our own well being. Here are a few easy and simple things that we can do that will help each of us to be good to ourselves in our daily living.
- When bathing, take the time to relax. Feel the warmth of the water on your body. Allow your muscles to relax. This is your own personal time so use it to your best advantage.
- If you are a working person, take a few extra minutes the night before to lay out your work clothes and things that you will need for the next day before going to bed. This way you have an extra few minutes in the morning and will be more relaxed as you head out to work.
- Each day, give yourself some time that is yours and yours alone to read, stretch, meditate or reflect on a positive experience or thought.
- Take time to enjoy your meals. Allow yourself to actually feel the taste and flavor before swallowing.
- Be nice but sometimes we can be too nice. If you have a choice and you are with someone that consistently chooses to be in a negative mood, try to detach from that persons emotional turmoil. It is good to listen and be of moral support to another but then if that person chooses to continue to be negative that is their choice not yours. Be good to yourself.
- Take time to look at nature. Look at the sky, the shape of a tree, or the way a frog jumps.
- Smile, even try it when you do not want to do it. Not only will it be pleasing to another, you might just find out how that smile will come back to you.
- Our feet can give us pain but also a good foot rub can relax other parts of our body. Take a little time to rub lotion on your feet. Move your hands slowly and massage the feet. Just before bedtime is a good time to do this. It feels so good!
- Treat yourself now and then with something special. It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. It might be something as simple as listening to a favorite music CD that you haven’t played for awhile. Just know that it is special to you.
- Last but not least, always remember that you are important, you are alive, you are loved and you are special. Above all, treat yourself that way. THAT IS HOW TO BE GOOD TO YOURSELF!