Those before us had worries too. We are just experiencing life as it is today. Therefore each of us can take what we want and leave the rest. Some have good suggestions but we must evaluate our own situation when making a retirement decision. No one knows the exact moment that one is going to die. There is no guarantee about tomorrow and there never was.
I am one that has to keep it simple and fit in my own box. Therefore my choices may differ from yours. The one thing that is true is, each of us has but one life to live and that living moment is Now. This is my box today which contains needs and wants. Some things I have control over and others I can strive to obtain. I have thrown away the crystal ball because it serves no purpose. The main ingredients for this list is hope, perseverance, wisdom and the will to accept life on life’s terms knowing that my needs are far most the most important. If you can use any of these things then please do. If not then make your own box because in the end it is your life and it is up to you live it.
- Work! Yes, I want to work as long as possible but not full time but it might be necessary for me to do that. As a single boomer, that is where I am. My dream would be to have a home of my own near the ocean or in a peaceful place near nature. I have seen these places in many states as I viewed houses for sale in 55 plus communities. They offer a life style that I would love to experience such as activities for boomers and seniors. As we all know, it is important to engage in these activities as we age. It is a way to meet new friends and enjoy life. This is not in my box due to my financial situation so I am looking at other alternatives such as apartment living for seniors 62 and older. Hopefully this need will come true. I am doing my part to fit it into my box. If you can do it though then maybe you should. Why not? You earned it.
- Reality today is that I must have health care. It is a few years before I am eligible for Medicare. In the mean time, I am living as frugal as possible to save for that day when I can retire. It is always good to not be wasteful but if you have the money then use it to enjoy life. You are the only one that knows what you would like to do. Fit pleasure into your box.
- It is possible to change jobs at age sixty-three. Also having a job that one enjoys and is able to perform is important. I have worked all my life. I am one of those if given a choice, I would travel, experience places that I have never seen. Then for once in my life, I would like to just prop my feet up, listen to the ocean waves on a sea shore and enjoy the sunshine as the wind blows across my body while reading a book. One of my favorite escape dreams is watching a beautiful water fall, listening to the birds sing, watching wildlife as it scurries around in nature. Also there is the dream of a fishing pole, a shade tree, and a lazy day on my own farm where I take in homeless dogs and raise them. As it is now my box consists of finding a senior apartment near a senior center or adult learning center in an area that has great parks. At the senior center, I can participate in activities with others my own age. I can take a trip with some of the folks I meet to view sites and places in the area that I have not experienced before. I can watch nature at the park. Also if I choose just right, the area in which I reside, will have a small waterfall in that park. On sunny days, I can go there for peace and tranquility. I can listen to the birds sing. Then there is the dog pound where I can visit. There I can volunteer and maybe even adopt a loving pet to be my special pet friend. After all, I have lots of love left to give and I can still enjoy receiving love too.
- It would be wonderful to have my own personal trainer for good health but that does not fit in my box. Is it a need? Not really. I can walk on a trail, join the other folks my age at the mall and do mall walking. If you can do it with a trainer, I hope that you take fitness seriously and do it.
- Most of my family has passed on to include parents, siblings and others. Yes, I wish I had them back but that does not fit in my box. Instead, I can reach out to others that I meet and share with them. That is in my box! Some of my computer friends and co workers I call brothers and sisters. No, they are not real family but each one is dear to me.
- I want to be healthy. Yes, that is a want and also a need. I have control over changing to healthy life style changes as far as exercise, eating and removing bad habits. As of today, I still have the ability to get up and move. I like my new reclining chair but it will be for relaxing only not a full time place to sit and waste precious moments of my life.
As a member of the baby boomer generation, I want to leave this world knowing that I lived and did not just survive. It is up to each of us to look at our box and fill it with what we can. There are many baby boomers needs and wants. But after all, life is reality and it is ours to live it the best way that we can. Be good to yourself and others while enjoying the journey. IT IS ALL ABOUT ATTITUDE!
Originally posted 2012-01-11 21:19:05.