It all started when I needed a DVD for my Netflix queue. Despite the title, I selected a recommended movie titled “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead” by Joe Cross which turned out to be an inspiring film that chronicles Joe’s personal mission to regain his health while traveling across America, juicer in tow, and inspiring others to do the same. It featured the benefits of eating better and getting a reboot by juicing. I gave it a try.
About the same time my friend David recommend a book by the title “Younger Next Year” with the sub-title Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy – Until You’re 80 and Beyond. It sounded like a book for women. I was wrong, it is a book for old guys and a very good one. It features the value of exercise as you age and gives you a plan and what to expect.
I had not set out to loose weight. I have been 203 lbs on my last three annual physicals and to be honest I thought the days of loosing weight were over. But the DVD and the book helped me loose 27 lbs in the last 60 days. Plus I have joined the fitness center in my neighborhood and workout 6 times a week. So by following this free advice it is working for me. So what are the health tips for old guys from these two sources that are proven to work. I will just list them the best I can remember from using them.
Health Tips for Old Guys
1. Cut down on the meat eaten. Fish and chicken are good. Consume more fruits and vegetables. Quit eating crap!
2. Try juicing and drink at least one green drink a day. I happen to live next to a Whole Foods with a juice bar and go there for a green drink every day. Or get a blender and prepare yourself.
3. Rather than 3 large meals try small meals with at least two snacks in between. I do snack at 9:45am and 2:45pm but your schedule may vary. I love a hand full on mixed nuts and cranberries and a piece of fruit for a snack.
4. Watch your portion size, especially with meats.
5. Exercise for 45 minutes a day six days a week for the rest of your life. Two days do strength training and 4 days of cardio. Vary your work outs.
6. Get a heart monitor, join a gym and get a personal trainer.
7. Simply your life and spend less than you make.
8. Shave every day and get regular haircuts.
9. Get some up to date clothes to keep your wardrobe up to date.
10. Be positive and don’t get too negative.
12. Stay active and involved with people. Socialization is important and many ways to do that like meetups, clubs, hobbies, senior centers, volunteer and others. Get a project.
Read the book and see the movie for a better explanation and motivation. This works. Why not try it.
Do these things and the rest of your life can be great. You can live like your fifties until your eighties and beyond.
Don’t do these things and the relentless tides of aging will sweep over you and make you weak and sick and kill you early.
Originally posted 2012-09-30 18:07:09.
One thought on “Baby Boomers Health: 12 Tips for Old Guys”
All tips are nice except 1. I could not get it. Tip no 8 and 9 to some extent. What does shaving have to do with keeping healthy and fit? Can’t people with beard have good health. Also, what do you want to convey with up to date wardrobe? People who are not stylish are not healthy? Well, I think these tips for old people won’t work. Other than these, all are worth practicing.
Comments are closed.