Some of you may know that I am a single working boomer. Lately, I have been giving a lot of thought about getting involved with my community senior center. Since I work the night shift and all week ends it is difficult to have a social life. Also my family has been suggesting that I check out the senior center in my community.
So I did a little research on senior centers and discovered a good deal more about them, their programs and activities. There seems to be many good reasons to visit and participate in the community senior center. Maybe you can relate with me as I list some of the benefits that I might expect in my own life as I use my senior center.
- At a senior center I can make new friends.
- Since I am single, who knows, I might just meet that special someone
- It is more fun to laugh with a group of people than sitting at home laughing by myself
- There will be a lot of friendly folks there to love and love is a good thing.
- By socializing with like minded folks it will give me a new way to learn
- It is a place to relax
- The center has healthy tasty meals and I love to eat.
- It is a drag to eat alone so at the center I can enjoy dining with others
- There are games to play which will strengthen my mind
- Some of the folks will be a lot wiser than me and I can learn from their stories
- There is a place to exercise and workout. I really need to loose weight.
- They have a billiards room therefore I can really get into that.
- Dancing use to be one of my favorite things to do and they offer dance classes plus have social events
- The folks there go on senior trips by bus. Since I drive for a living, it will be nice to allow the bus driver to do the driving for me.
- Sometimes they go to the gambling boat. I love to play those slots.
- They do taxes. I have never done mine so not only can I get someone to do my taxes just maybe they will teach me how to do them.
- It will be a great opportunity to give away a smile. My dog doesn’t really care if I smile or not. I work night and don’t see many folks therefore I am not involved in much smiling.
- It is very inexpensive and I live on a limited income. Most of the activities are free.
- The center is within blocks of my apartment and it will not take much gasoline to drive there. They even have a bus that will pick some folks up.
- Since it is in my plan to move from here to a over 55 apartment or senior community, I am sure that I can get information about the best places in the area. Who knows, I might even find a good roommate.
- Instead of sitting around alone on holidays, I can meet folks to be with and enjoy holidays
- My daughters are very busy and would really be happy to hear that I am going to the senior center
- Since I am off 2 days during the week, it will give me something to do. I might even want to volunteer.
- There is a huge crowd there on bingo day. I might even get good enough to play more than one card plus I like to play games.
- Sometimes they do crafts. It is finally time that I learn to do some and get into the arts.
- It would be an excellent way to learn more about my community.
- There are times they go out of town on mini trips. I have a lot of vacation time therefore I could enjoy vacationing with others.
- As I get older and even now, it is important to have a support system. At a senior center I can develop that.
- The center has meals on wheels. The last time I had a hospital stay, it was difficult to fix meals for myself. This would be real nice.
- Also, I might be able to get assistance for transportation if I am unable to drive to the store.
This blog is getting very lengthy. That is a good, thing because I am now excited about getting involved at the senior center. There is much more that I could write but I will wait and write more after I have attended. It is amazing when one writes out a positive list how much more exciting a new adventure can be!
Originally posted 2014-03-09 19:02:32.
Comments are closed.