There has been a lot of writing about different opinions about baby boomers. Some say that we brought about drugs and a different value system to this world. As each generation comes along they are recognized for different things that happened during their era. Boomers are no different.
I choose to dwell on the good regardless of what era it is. No one generation is all bad or all good. We all contribute to change and deal with what is put before us. Each person is unique in their own way. Instead of wallowing in the blame game, why not pull together and create a more loving, caring, environment for all people. Stick with the basics. Use gratitude instead of woe is me. Use forgiveness instead of resentments. Do the right thing. Cultivate an attitude that you will be proud of and those around you will be drawn to follow. Be a winner by setting an example that even the smallest child can see the good in you. Show respect. Do not be afraid to look another in the eye with pride in what you do. You are important and each thing, big or small, can impact a life. That life may just be the one that will finish what you started. This is a list of some of the positives that we boomers took part in during our life time.
- We brought on some great rock music which will never be forgotten.
- We were there to start the tearing down of prejudice walls.
- We watched as the first man walked on the moon.
- We took small country roads and made them into highways.
- We connected communities so that better health care could be offered to rural areas.
- We pounded at the doors of our educational system until it improved.
- We protected our country with the dedication of women and men that were strong and persevered.
- We came to the relief of our neighbors during disasters such as floods, tornado, and earth quakes.
- We restored national monuments so that our history would never be forgotten.
- We built bigger, better, and safer parks so that families and children could enjoy what our country had to offer.
- We improved transportation so that we all would have the opportunity to enjoy the best.
- We introduced the computer, found cures for some diseases, instilled hope for the younger generation.
- We changed the way mental institutions were run and put forth guidelines in hospitals for the best of patient care.
- We improved sporting events and challenged our youth.
- We marched in the biggest of parades and held children on our backs to cheer the folks on.
These are but just a few things that boomers have been involved in as we stood strong. We were not known as quitters. Our lives have touched many. It is up to each one of us what type of impact we want to make on each other. Boomers are no more important or less important than any other generation of people. We love our children, grandchildren, the elderly and all that are persevering as we go through the trying times of today. Love is a powerful emotion so let the love light shine. We need each other. So when you walk down the street, help that elderly person, smile at that little child, encourage that hurting soul and remember that life and love will only go hand in hand if we do our part.
Originally posted 2011-06-08 15:27:24.