Recently I read an article about tips for Senior online dating. Some of it I agreed with and some I had my own opinions. It took me to a place and time where I met a few people online. Then the day came for the face to face interaction which is an all different ball game no matter how much you learn from the Internet affair. Some of my experiences were rather humorous so I have a few tips to offer for the real deal.
- Be prepared for the eye shock. Pictures from the Internet can be very deceiving.
- Don’t get offended if he says, “Wow, you are a lot fatter than I expected.”
- Keep your composure should he change his mind at the last minute, not show up, and disappear completely from the Internet site. He probably did not die of a heart attack and has gotten cold feet before. Better yet, he likes playing games with peoples feelings.
- Run like hec if he comes dressed in a large over coat and it appears like he is carrying a weapon in his coat pocket. Don’t be so noisy that you have to ask him about it.
- Don’t let your mouth drop open in shock when he takes his hat off to reveal his bald head. I know you thought he had a full head of hair in that cowboy hat pic that you saw on the computer. Now this is the real HIM.
- Try not to make too big of a scene at your local restaurant if he should say at the end of the meal, “Do you mind paying, I forgot my billfold.” After all you might want to go back to that same place someday WITHOUT HIM.
- If he should start talking about all his Ex’s put a time limit on listening. Oh, and by the way, all ex’s don’t just come from Texas. I have met up with guys that have them scattered around the world.
- If you met for dinner and he is a health food nut then accept that. Never but never though resort to eating carrot sticks for your meal instead of a nice juicy steak if you are hungry. If he tries to change you at the first meal then imagine the rest of your life eating with him.
- If you see something protruding from his hair that looks like a Bobbie pin, it probably is. Leave it alone and don’t ask. Maybe later if there is a second date you can discuss the hair piece that you did not know that he wore.
- Just take it in stride if after the meal he excuses himself to the men’s room to clean his teeth. Be glad that he did not take them out at the dining table. Again remember in person is much different than on line dating.
- Then of course there is the nose blower. The one that has excessive sinus issues and has to do a lot of blowing while you two are eating your dinner. Have a heart and appear understanding. Who knows next time you may have to blow.
- If you hear a rattle in his pants when he walks, NEVER BUT NEVER ask him if he wears Depends. There will be another time and place for that discussion if there is a next time.
- Get concerned if he takes out a pill bottle and takes a pill right after a discussion of sex and the first date. It might be Viagra and he might start rushing you to finished your meal quickly. You do not want to take the chance of choking. Chew slowly, take your time. Don’t be worried about him paying ten dollars a pop for those pills because that is his problem, not yours.
- If you are a man give her a chance. Maybe she forgot her glasses when she ordered the most expensive meal on the menu after your on line dating discussion of being frugal.
- If her hair looks purple, it probably is. I know she said it was white but some of those white white hair rinses turn a ladies hair purple. Just keep quiet about it. It will wash out or discuss it at another time.
- If one of her eye lashes falls off keep cool. Older ladies have to do what they have to do to look beautiful for you and sometimes those darn things just get loose.
- Oh yes and men just remember that women too wear hair pieces, wigs, lift up bras, girdles, and all their ex’s did not come from Texas either.
Be nice if she invited her girlfriend along because she was a bit scared of meeting you in person and had her sit at the next table. When she keeps giving the high sign to her just ignore it. She probably will not want you to know so just do not mention it. If she starts texting though, instead of listening to you, there might be a problem. After all you are in control if there is a NEXT time date.
Now after reading this do not let this influence you as for getting ready for that first meet up after the on line dating experience. I am all for being a free spirit and putting spice in your life. You might just luck out and none of the above will happen. Then of course do not forget that there are senior centers, adult groups, cruises for singles, churches, and many other events where you can meet people your age for the first time. It is OK. Try getting out there. That special one might just be right where you did not expect him or her to be. Feel free! Venture out into the unknown. It is your life. Live it.
Live, Love, Learn and Laugh!
Originally posted 2011-09-07 12:43:58.
Comments are closed.