We must go for our periodic eye exams which may require that we wear glasses or contact lens. Eye glasses are available with glare proof coating and tint. There are many types of lubricants and eyes drops on the market that will help to ease the discomfort. An eye specialist can recommend what is best for each individual. Also there are computer screen devices that can be used to decrease glare. Sunglasses are very helpful during the daylight hours.
But what about those of us that have to drive and use computers to make a living? At the end of a day or night our eyes are stained. If we like to read, watch television, or use the computer we are setting ourselves up for even more eye strain. I have found that driving while it is raining irritates my eyes due to the glare on the streets. Watching television has become very difficult due to the glare. Unfortunately eye strain can interfere with many of the activities that we like to do during our relaxation time. As a boomer, reading, writing, watching television and using the computer are things that I enjoy doing. As with many other things, I have had to search out alternative methods to continue to enjoy things that I use to do. Here are a few ways that I deal with eye strain.
- Reading is very difficult with eye strain. There are many audio books at the library. Amazon.com. has a wide variety of audio books for purchase. While driving one can put the CD in the car Cd player and continue to learn. I found this very helpful during a heavy rain storm recently. It was very enlightening to listen to the audio book, The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, while continuing my night driving during the storm.
- While using the computer, I find it helpful to take breaks away from the screen frequently to relax my eyes. I can save my material then go back to it for completion. It is a good time to use the eye drops and lubricants that are available.
- When I intend to watch a good movie on television, I find it helpful to wait until I have rested my eyes for a few hours. Sometimes it helps to put a cold wash cloth across my eyes and just relax them for awhile.
- Getting the proper sleep also helps with eye strain. When using an I pad it is good to increase the writing for easier viewing.
- Also there is the age old magnifying glass that is useful for reading fine print.
Eye strain is uncomfortable but we must continue to look for ways to continue to learn, relax, work, and play without allowing eye strain to deter us from doing the things that we need to do. As wise boomers, we will find the ways to deal with eye strain and any other obstacles that we need to overcome!
Originally posted 2011-03-03 07:50:42.