We have observed these 10 Baby Boomer housing trends. Boomers are not doing as some expected in regards to their housing. Links in the items listed go to more details.
1. Many Baby Boomers love seasonal homes in resort locations. Living in a seasonal home for two to six months then returning to their primary home. Some seasonal homes are owned but many are short term rentals. Most seasonal homes are in warmer locations. Most are in resort locations including active adult communities.
2. One level living is a must because of potential mobility issues and safety concerns. This style is referred to as “ranch style” homes.
3. Baby Boomers prefer a enclosed sun room, where they can enjoy the outdoors without the elements. Fully enclosed is preferable to a 3 season room.
4. One of the the main reason Baby Boomers move is to be closer to their children, grandchildren or siblings.
5. Baby Boomers who can afford it, love living in a Over 50 Community that offers the active lifestyle where they can play pickleball, bocce, tennis, softball, putt putt golf, and so on as well as other activities, entertainment and social life and people to do it with.
6. Baby Boomers are not downsizing to as small a home as expected by some. They still enjoy their space for entertaining and having guests over. Also want a large master bedroom and bath room.
7. A nice patio or deck is also enjoyed but not too big of a yard. Boomers no longer do their own landscaping maintenance. Boomers want landscaping included or pay a vendor to do that.
8. Many Baby Boomer who do move to a new home end up buy new furniture and having the new place professionally decorated.
9. Baby Boomers that age in place are making improvements to their homes to make them age friendly as much as possible especially with ease of access.
10. Also Baby Boomers that age in place are getting involved with their local senior center that has evolved to have more activities like an Active Adult Community does. Many Senior Centers are now called Active Adult Centers.