I scan the headlines for interesting baby boomer news stories. I like the ones with news about baby boomer generation’s current lives and of course what is directly ahead for us. I say for us because I am age 65 and one of the older boomers myself.
50 Years Since JFK Assination
Well that is a milestone. Everyone in our generation probably still remembers what they were doing when they heard the news. I was in the 9th grade and heard it from the announcement over the school’s PA system. It was certainly a shock. Everyone was depressed by this event, adults and children. They claim it was the “loss of innocence” and maybe it was. Source: Various.
Despite Projection, Restaurant Visits By Baby Boomer Has Grown
Well yes. Did they think we would be eating dog food by now? So visits by boomers has grown but visits by younger generations have declined. My take would be that the boomers have the money to eat out while families with children and getting started in life would have less discretionary income. To me this is not a shock. Source: Story.
5 Ways Baby Boomers Can Bring Joy Back Into Exercise Through Child’s Play
This was actually an interesting blog post. The first item list is Dance and having taken two kinds of dance classes last week, I agree, maybe. I took Shag lessons and they are great fun but almost no exercise. On the other hand I took a Swing dance lesson with SilverSneakers and got great exercise. So it depends. Swimming. Safe and low impact and most certainly popular with baby boomers. I will pass on the remaining three: Roller Skating, Jump Rope and Holla Hooping. Really? But you don’t need all of these, just one will do fine. Source: Story
Top Technologies for Baby Boomer Drivers
This was by the MIT Age Lab for whom I am a fan. Blind spot warning systems warns drivers of objects in blind spots, especially while changing lanes and parking. Lord knows we need this. Smart headlights to reduce glare and improve night vision is also a winner. Assistive parking systems makes parking easier by indicating distance to objects and certainly that one is need also. Read about the others in the Story.
The CDC Says You Baby Boomers Should Get Tested For Hepatitis C
Why is it important to get tested for Hepatitis C?
• Millions of Americans have Hepatitis C, but most don’t know it.
• About 8 in 10 people who get infected with Hepatitis C develop a chronic, or lifelong, infection.
• People with Hepatitis C often have no symptoms. Many people can live with an infection for decades without feeling sick.
• Hepatitis C is a leading cause of liver cancer and the leading cause of liver transplants.
• New treatments are available for Hepatitis C that can get rid of the virus. Story.
Subscribe to our daily Retirement Media News
Headlines I saw that are not news to me
- Aging Baby Boomers to Delay Retirement Plans (Been hearing this at least for 5 years)
- Baby Boomers Generally Oppose Changing the Rules for Social Security (Oh I wonder why)
- Most Boomers Want to Age at Home (Well, yes.)