Food Tours Are A Good Idea
This month while on vacation in Asheville NC, we noticed on TripAdvisor that the number one rated activity was Asheville Food Tours. We made a call and went on the tour the next day and had a blast!
Back home we wondered if there were any food tours nearby and found one on Canton Street in Roswell GA. Our neighbors joined us and we did the Roswell Food Tour yesterday and loved it. Mariel was our guide and did an excellent job with everything. Everyone in our party was impressed with the Roswell Food Tour.
I had never even heard of Food Tours before this month but now am a big fan. Food Tours seem to be spreading across the country and are worth checking out.
What is a Food Tour?
A walking food tour with a local guide usually visits about 4 or 5 restaurants sampling courses at each and maybe visiting an olive oil store and/or chocolate shop as well.
Food tours normally take place in the less busy part of the day so you can get special attention. Our Asheville Food Tour was between 2 and 5pm and our Roswell Food Tour was between 4 and 7pm.
There were only 4 people on our Roswell Food Tour but 10 people on our Asheville Food Tour and I have heard of groups of 13 people. We liked the group of 10 people because we really bonded with new people but on the other hand the group of 4 with our private party was nice since we had the guide all to ourselves.
Foods Tours usually visit locally owned restaurants and the owner or manager comes out to speak with the group about the restaurants and some of their dishes.
There is some walking involved so wear comfortable shoes and an umbrella. Walking to each restaurants is nice and the guide will point out interesting things about the buildings or landmarks as you walk by.
The guide keeps the group on schedule moving between the restaurants and there is no waiting to get in as they are expecting your group and will have the food and drink ready to be served as soon as you sit down. That is nice!
The food is wonderful. You may get appetizers at one restaurant, a main dish at the next, more sides dishes at the next and a dessert along the way. The Asheville Food Tour gave us a coupon for 10% off any of the restaurants for visits within 5 days.
I already have the Athens Food Tour on my list. To find Food Tours just search the city name plus Food Tours. Here are some reasons I think you will like a Food Tour.
Ten Reasons Food Tours Are a Good Idea
1. Exciting and fun new experience. Feels like a vacation.
2. Great way to try new restaurants, especially in a new city.
3. Meet new people. People bond while having a great time.
4. Special attention – Seating without a wait at a reserved table. Food ready to serve. Menu selections made.
5. Great way to entertain visitors or friends.
6. Great thing to do when you are on vacation.
7. Learn about and sample interesting foods you never tried before.
8. Friendly and entertaining guide keeps a flawless schedule that keeps things interesting and fun.
9. Restaurant owner or manager will make you feel like a friend while giving you the background and specialties of the restaurant.
10. Learn historical facts about area and see interesting things
Originally posted 2014-06-30 21:31:08.